Monday, October 20, 2014

This blog is moving

After several years using the Blogger platform I've decided to freeze this blog and move my writing efforts elsewhere. In the last few days I've tested several options, mainly looking at Wordpress running on Openshift. But I have found Wordpress a bit overkill for a simple personal blog, so I discovered Octopress.

Octopress is a framework designed by Brandon Mathis for Jekyll, the blog aware static site generator powering Github Pages. To start blogging with Jekyll, you have to write your own HTML templates, CSS, Javascripts and set up your configuration. But with Octopress All of that is already taken care of. Simply clone or fork Octopress, install dependencies and the theme, and you're set.
The main reasons for this move are:

  1. Blogger has become slow and heavy: the preview takes forever and sometimes it doesn't show up at all
  2. Octopress serves static files and can be quickly tested locally
  3. I can use Git for pushing all my changes and I can rollback easily
  4. I want to be in total control of the typography and html
  5. My main domain and blog pages are all hosted on Github

Here it is: www.maurizioturatti.com


So, goodbye Blogger.com and thank you for all the blogging fish. Welcome Jekyll and Octopress!


No comments:

Post a Comment